- The grant is for a documentary film of up to 30 minutes to be made anywhere in the world during the period of February 2023 to September 2023 exploring the theme, ‘Human Spirit’.
- We are looking for adventure, exploration and imagination.
- Projects can be worldwide. Kailas invites filmmakers to consider the Chinese mountains.
- Each pitch submitted must detail a production schedule and budgeting plan that would enable a finished film to be submitted to the 2023 Festival.
- Kendal Mountain Festival and Kailas will support the winning filmmakers with monthly development meetings of the film’s progression up until the final cut.
- The final film will premiere at Kendal Mountain Festival 2023 and be supported to enter world-wide Festivals
- All teams must consider the environmental impact of the project and we suggest you use the ‘We Are Albert Carbon Calculator’ to assess your decision making.
- We ask all applicants to read and consider the ‘BFI Diversity Standards’ when making their application.
ADVICE FOR APPLICANTS
The team at Kalias are looking for applications which encompass accounts of outdoor endeavour and stories exploring the theme Human Spirit with tales of joy, humour and heart.
Please consider applying if you have a film that is based in the outdoors, undertaking activities such as climbing, mountaineering, hiking, running, biking, but at its core - a desire to inspire audiences with empathy and courage.
Claire Carter will hold a Zoom for all applicants to the Grant on 25th January 2023 at 6.00pm to answer questions about the remit, process and selection. The grant application closing date is the 28th February 2023.
The team at Kailas have been inspired by films as broad as My Big White Thighs and Me, The Frozen Road, Dirtbag, the Legend of Fred Becky and Danny MacAskill's The Ridge - so be brave!
There is £20,000 available - Kailas hope to award more than one filmmaker and therefore we would encourage you to make an application with a budget based on being successful for a £10,000 grant.
Good luck! We look forward to seeing your applications.
Please email Claire for more details via firstname.lastname@example.org