We are excited to announce the launch of the 2019 Photography Competition presented by Heart of the LakesNow in its 12th year, this prestigious competition has cemented a reputation for discovering new talent and celebrating some of the most captivating imagery from the world of outdoor adventure.
About our partner Heart of the Lakes
Founded in 1975, Heart of the Lakes is responsible for letting and managing an unsurpassed selection of the most fantastic cottages, farm houses, apartments and outstanding luxury properties – all within the heart of one of Britain's loveliest corners.
With holiday self catering cottages to suit every party size, budget and location; plus an outstanding selection of pet friendly cottages. Heart of the Lakes are the perfect choice for your Lake District self catering holiday.
Exhibition and prizes
A panel of distinguished judges will shortlist 12 images that stand out from the crowd, these images will be displayed for six weeks in a prestigious exhibition at the Brewery Arts Centre, including over the Festival weekend where they will be seen by over 20,000 people.
From the shortlisted 12, one photograph will be selected as the Grand Winner; the winner will receive a £500 holiday voucher to spend at Heart of the Lakes. The perfect opportunity for a photographer to stay in the heart of the UNESCO World Heritage Lake District and capture the beautiful surroundings.
The Grand Winner will also receive one of our world-renowned 'Kendal' awards, produced by Andy Parkin, this will be presented at our prestigious Festival awards ceremony on Saturday 16 November.
For 2019 our Festival theme is openness – a call to the Festival, audiences and adventurers to be open to all people, places and ideas. With this theme in mind, we encourage entries that celebrate a wide variety of adventures and landscapes – from the shores of an isolated tarn here in the Lake District, to a paddle down an urban canal, to the solitude of a high alpine peak. We want to see what adventure means to you!
The competition is open to all, including images taken on smartphones. The goal is to bring together the best images from across the globe that can leave lasting impressions on the viewer.
Photography Competition launch
Matt Hartnett, Heart of the Lakes Head of Marketing, says: “Heart of the Lakes are proud to be the new headline sponsor of the Kendal Mountain Festival 2019 Photography Competition. We are excited to see all the images that will be entered in 2019 and will be shown across the Festival weekend.
Henry Iddon, Kendal Mountain Festival Arts Officer and professional photographer, says: “Still images have always played an important part in sharing peoples’ experiences of the outdoors. We’re always excited to see how photographers capture their adventures."
Entry costs just £5, and this allows you to enter up to five photographs. To enter your photographs simply follow the link below to upload your images and complete the short entry form.
Terms & Conditions
1. All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. The entrants must be the sole owner of copyright in all photographs entered and must have obtained permission of any people featured in the entries or their parents/guardians if children under 16 are featured. Further, entrants must not have breached any laws when taking their photographs.
2. Images must have a sufficiently high resolution to allow them to be reproduced at A3 size.
4. Entries are limited to five images per person.
5. The competition excludes employees of Heart of the Lakes and their immediate families, plus any person working with Kendal Mountain Festival in either an employed or voluntary capacity.
6. The winner will be selected by our judging panel over the Festival weekend.
7. The deadline for entries to the photo competition is midnight on Friday 2nd November 2019.
8. You must be able to provide a high-resolution JPEG file if the quality of the uploaded file is deemed insufficient.
9. Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, by submitting the photos to the competition, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to Kendal Mountain Festival and Heart of the Lakes to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.
10. Entries which have previously won a competition cannot be submitted.
11. Twelve photographs will be selected to win a goody bag including Kendal Mountain Festival 2020 film tickets.
12. These Twelve photographs will be displayed at The Brewery Arts Centre for six weeks, including over the Festival weekend.
13. One winning image will be selected from the twelve shortlisted photographs. The winner will receive a £500 voucher to spend towards a holiday with Heart of the Lakes, the voucher can be used at any of the properties at Heart of the Lakes. The booking must be made by 5 November 2020. If the winner does not book by this date, Heart of the Lakes reserve the right to withdraw the voucher. If the chosen holiday cost is over £500, the winner is responsible for the additional cost. Any amendments to, or cancellation of, the booking made by the winner after the booking is confirmed may be subject to administration charges and/or cancellation fees, which will be the responsibility of the winner. The voucher must be used in one transaction and cannot be split over numerous transactions. It is the responsibility of the winner to arrange suitable insurance.
14. The competition will run until 23:59 on 5 November 2019. After this date no further entries to the competition will be permitted or accepted.
15. Shortlisted photographers will be contacted within 7 days of the closing date by email and must respond to the email within 5 working days. We reserve the right to withdraw the prize from the winner and pick a replacement winner if this isn't done.
16. The prizes are non transferable.